KNOW WHO PEOPLE REALLY ARE – John 8:31-47
31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
- Abide means to continue believing what I said and walk in obedience to the truth.
- You are not passing the test of true discipleship.
- What have I said?
33 They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?”
- I’m my own man.
- I will live life my way.
- My personal habits are my own business.
34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. 35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you. 38 I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.”
- I know who you are.
- You are deceiving yourselves.
- Your actions do not match who you claim to be.
- Your father is not my Father.
39 They answered him, “Abraham is our father.”
- I have special heritage.
- I know what it means to follow God.
- I have my own freedom!
Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing the works Abraham did, 40 but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41 You are doing the works your father did.”
- What are the results of your works?
- What do you know of truth?
- You have made up your own rules.
- Your treatment of others is evidence of your true nature.
They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.”
- We are righteous.
- We are not idolaters.
- We are spiritually superior to others.
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me.43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me?47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”
- Where is your love for the Father?
- My words are offensive to you.
- If you knew the Father you would know me.